The World Health Organisation (WHO) has said that the more the UN agency investigates the Ebola outbreak, the clearer it becomes that cases have spread to other areas.
It is understood that the current Ebola outbreak has killed 131 people in the DR Congo. Officials say more than 513 cases are now suspected nationwide. One person has died in neighbouring Uganda.
Ebola, according to Dr Shima Gyoh, a retired Professor of Surgery at Benue State University College of Health Sciences, Makurdi, and the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, England, is among the most dangerous viruses that infect humans.
A report by the BBC says a London-based MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis, released on Monday, suggested there had been “substantial” under-detection and that it could not rule out more than 1,000 cases.
The study suggested that the current outbreak is “larger than currently ascertained” and that its “true magnitude remains uncertain.”
WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who declared the outbreak an international emergency last week, said he was “deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic.”


